Salary and Other Benefits
Salary commensurate with education and experience
Please apply at: Job ID: 41750
MU TITLE: Associate Extension Professor/Extension Professor
LOCATION: Columbia, Missouri
HEADQUARTERED: University of Missouri – Columbia, MO
The University of Missouri (MU) Extension’s distinct land-grant mission is to improve lives, communities, and economies by producing relevant, reliable, and responsive educational strategies throughout Missouri. MU Extension faculty and staff collaborate with researchers and community leaders to develop and deliver programs that address the needs of Missourians. For more information about MU Extension, visit https://extension.missouri.edu
The University of Missouri (MU) is seeking an exceptional individual to bring innovative leadership to enhance the impact of the University in the lives of Missourians. This position provides day-to-day academic, administrative, and strategic leadership for the Family, Nutrition & Consumer Science Extension unit and its affiliated faculty and staff.
In keeping with the university’s land-grant mission, the Family, Nutrition & Consumer Science Extension program focuses the resources of the University of Missouri toward addressing the critical needs identified by Missourians. The Family, Nutrition & Consumer Science program brings together faculty and resources from schools and colleges across the University as a highly visible focus of expertise and scholarship. The mission of this program is to increase lifelong health of all with a special emphasis on vulnerable populations. Through research and evidence-based educational programs, faculty statewide strive to improve dietary quality, increase physical activity, and promote lifelong health and wellbeing.
This position is expected to catalyze a comprehensive strategy to secure additional resources from public and private sources to support programs and initiatives. Resource generation and fiscal management is achieved through coordination with University Advancement, faculty, and other partners, with oversight by MU Extension and the academic home.
This is a full-time, jointly appointed, 12-month academic position with an administrative appointment. It is expected that the Director be eligible and approved for faculty appointment within the College of Education and Human Development or the College of Health Professions. The faculty appointment may be a non-tenure track appointment at the rank of Associate Extension Professor or Extension Professor, depending upon university approval of qualifications and experience. The administrative appointment will reside in MU Extension & Engagement. Due to the nature of this position, the incumbent will be expected to report to the University of Missouri campus located in Columbia, Missouri. Additionally, the incumbent must have a valid driver’s license as frequent travel throughout the state of Missouri is expected with regional and national conferences as appropriate.
Academic Leadership (50%)
· Facilitate, guide, and monitor the development, application, and improvement of the multidisciplinary sciences of family & nutrition, bringing together faculty from Extension and the colleges and schools for collaborative and innovative initiatives to address local, state, and national needs.
· Collaborate with other Extension Senior Program Leaders, Deans, Department Chairs/Division Directors in 4H Youth Development, Health, Agriculture & Environment, Business and Communities and other academic unit partners in developing and delivering interdisciplinary extension and engagement programs and services and the related scholarship of family & nutrition, through peer- reviewed journal articles, poster and/or oral presentation, educational materials.
· Provide in-service education opportunities for faculty and agency professionals.
· Be an active contributing member of the College & Department where the academic home will reside. Serve as a course instructor and serve on departmental committees as requested.
Administrative Leadership (30%)
· Manage the resources (e.g., physical, fiscal, intellectual, partnership), personnel (e.g., recruiting, onboarding, development, evaluation, volunteers), and implementation (delivery and improvement systems and processes) of statewide family & nutrition programming.
· Develop and monitor the programs integrated budget and staffing plan.
· Lead program development, impact & accountability management, compliance, evaluation, and reporting.
· Serve on departmental, college, Extension, and university committees.
Strategic Leadership (20%)
· Provide leadership for the development and implementation of Extension and Engagement’s vision, planning, staffing, budgeting, and programming related to families & nutrition.
· Engage in innovative initiatives at the state, regional and national levels in the areas of nutrition and health.
· Catalyze the development of collaborations with other departments, colleges and organizations engaged in implementing family & nutrition programs as well as addressing family & nutrition issues and policies.
· Develop and oversee grants and funding strategies to assist with program development, implementation, and sustainability.
Remain current on trends and research-based knowledge to effectively create relevant, reliable and responsive education. Apply this knowledge in scholarly products such as curriculum, in-service education instruction, articles in professional and popular press, presentations at professional meetings, grant proposals and more.
Actively participate in professional development opportunities to continuously improve skills and increase research-based knowledge. Demonstrate mastery of core competencies, including subject matter expertise, effective and innovate teaching strategies, program development processes, and integration of new and emerging technology.
LEADERSHIP RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
This position will be joint between MU Extension & Engagement and an academic department to be determined at the time of hire. Administrative supervision is received from the Associate Vice Chancellor for MU Extension & Engagement. Academic supervision is received from the department chair and dean of the academic home college.
The University of Missouri, also known as Mizzou and MU, is the Flagship University of the four-campus University of Missouri system. It is the state’s 1862 land-grant university and one of the most comprehensive universities in the United States. MU’s broad undergraduate programs and its’ graduate, professional and research programs attract annual enrollment of more than 30,000 students. MU is centrally located in Columbia, MO, which is consistently ranked as one of America’s most livable cities. MU Extension programs are located on all four campuses and in 114 counties and St. Louis city.
MU is fully committed to achieving the goal of a diverse and inclusive academic community of faculty, staff, and students. We seek individuals who are committed to this goal and our core campus values of respect, responsibility, discovery, and excellence.
• A terminal degree is required in a discipline or program related to nutrition, public health, dietetics, exercise physiology or closely related field. • Five or more years of professional experience in designing, conducting, and evaluating educational programs, preferably demonstrated leadership in comparable programs to Extension Family, Nutrition and Consumer Science programs.
CANDIDATES WILL BE EVALUATED ON: • Demonstrated ability to communicate and build partnerships with a variety of internal and external audiences and stakeholders. • Demonstrated ability to lead, develop, and grow individuals, teams, and volunteers and lead change management within a complex organizational environment. • Demonstrated personnel, operations, and fiscal management capabilities. • Demonstrated commitment to diversity, inclusion, affirmative action, and equal opportunity in programming, staffing, and services.
Complete the brief online application at https://extension.missouri.edu/about/jobs.aspx and submit a cover letter, list of 3-5 references, all academic transcripts and CV online at https://hr.missouri.edu/job-openings It is recommended that these required documents be uploaded as one PDF file as a resume document. For questions regarding the online application process contact MUHRS@missouri.edu or call 573.882.7976. For technical problems with the online application process contact email@example.com or call 573.882.5000. For questions regarding this position, contact Kristin Miller, search committee chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 573-884-0836.
About University of Missouri Extension
Through the innovations and ideals of the University of Missouri, MU Extension improves lives, businesses and communities by focusing on solving Missouri’s grand challenges around economic opportunity, educational access, and health and well-being.
MU Extension is a partnership of the University of Missouri campuses, Lincoln University, the people of Missouri through county extension councils, and the National Institute for Food and Agriculture of the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
MU is a land-grant university, meaning it is a part of a federally mandated mission to carry the benefits of university research beyond campus. Federal legislation in the 1800s provided for the donation of public land to individual states. Missourians chose to apply their land grants to the existing Columbia campus. This created two universities in one — a land-grant institution leading in research for all citizens of the state, across the nation and around the world, and an intellectual center to advance liberal arts scholarship. Today, through statewide offices, publications and web-based services, extension faculty in every county of Missouri continue to carry the benefits of MU research throughout the entire state.