Salary and Other Benefits
Salary commensurate with education and experience.
Assistant or Associate Extension Professor – Division of Applied Social Sciences
College of Agriculture, Food, and Natural Resources
University of Missouri-Columbia
The Division of Applied Social Sciences, College of Agriculture, Food, and Natural Resources, seeks to recruit a faculty member with experience in data-driven regional economic research and outreach. The incumbent will engage with MU’s Business and Communities Extension Program and the Agriculture Business and Policy Extension Program to build effective working relationships with others across campus and across the state to help support an integrated approach to regional economic development in Missouri. There are a broad range of issues relevant to Missouri communities around which, based on his/her expertise, the successful candidate can contribute to research-based extension and applied research efforts. This is a non-tenure track, 9- month position anticipated to be 100% Extension service in effort. Assignments are subject to annual negotiation between the faculty member and leadership.
Duties of the position of the incumbent:
· Contribute to a high-impact applied research program that supports issues of importance to Missouri and MU Extension, extending past the University campus into Missouri communities
· Identify, secure, and manage competitive external funding opportunities
· Independently conduct regional economic development applied research projects for University and external clients
· Write research reports and information briefs; synthesize and present findings to key stakeholders
· Publish in appropriate peer-reviewed scientific journals and extension outlets and present at appropriate regional and national meetings
· Direct student research and outreach projects
· Participate in public, professional, and internal service activities
· PhD degree in agricultural or applied economics, regional science/regional planning, or a closely related social sciences discipline.
· Ten (10) years or more of experience in regional economic development applied research within a North American context, experience may include a range of specialties including tourism, sustainability, healthcare, housing, and more
Candidates will be evaluated on:
· Expertise with public- and private-sector economic development tools and data, such as industry, occupational, businesses, and demographic information
· Demonstrated ability to obtain and manage externally funded projects
· Demonstrated ability as a highly-effective communicator in written and verbal form, including well-designed, reports, presentations, and peer reviewed journal articles
· Demonstrated ability to effectively, inclusively and independently engage and communicate with diverse state, regional, and community leaders and policymakers
· A demonstrated record of leading teams to conduct research and outreach on topics related to regional economic development
· Experience with Cooperative Extension System
· Experience with statistical software, data visualization software, such as ArcGIS or Tableau, and database management skills
· Expertise with Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint
Application: Applications should include: A letter of interest, resume or C.V., academic transcripts (unofficial), and the names of three references. The University of Missouri values diversity and is committed to working towards achieving equity and inclusion within all its programs. Candidates applying for this position are required to provide a statement addressing how they would utilize their former experience and knowledge to promote diversity and inclusion at the university and how that
commitment would add value to the Division of Applied Social Sciences. Start date is negotiable. Review of applications will begin November 1, 2021. Apply online at https://hrs.missouri.edu/find-a-job, Job ID 38410.
Mallory L. Rahe, Search Committee Chair Assistant Extension Professor &
Educational Director Regional Economic Development
222 Mumford Hall
Columbia, MO 65211
Official transcripts may be required for any candidate who is offered the position. Questions regarding the position can be addressed to the Search Committee Chair.
This position is eligible for University benefits. The University offers a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental and vision plans, retirement, and educational fee discounts. For additional information on University benefits, please visit the Faculty & Staff Benefits website at http://www.umsystem.edu/totalrewards/benefits
The University of Missouri is fully committed to achieving the goal of a diverse and inclusive academic community of faculty, staff and students. We seek individuals who are committed to this goal and our core campus values of respect, responsibility, discovery and excellence.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Equal Opportunity is and shall be provided for all employees and applicants for employment on the basis of their demonstrated ability and competence without unlawful discrimination on the basis of their race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable state or federal law. This policy shall not be interpreted in such a manner as to violate the legal rights of religious organizations or the recruiting rights of military organizations associated with the Armed Forces or the Department of Homeland Security of the United States of America. For more information, call the Vice Chancellor of Human Resource Services/Affirmative Action officer at 573-882-4256.
To request ADA accommodations, please call the Disability Inclusion and ADA Compliance Manager at 573-884-7278.
EEO IS THE LAW
To read more about Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) please use the following links:
EEO is the Law English Version
EEO is the Law Spanish Version
EEO is the Law Chinese Version