Extension Educator, 4-H Youth Development
Salary and Other Benefits
Salary will be commensurate with experience. The University of Maryland offers an extensive benefits package.
Description of Unit:
University of Maryland is a land-grant institution with a three-part mission of teaching, research, and outreach. The campus is located in College Park, Maryland. University of Maryland Extension (UME) reaches all parts of Maryland with an office in every county and Baltimore City. Maryland 4-H is the youth development program of the land grant system. This position will be responsible for the Calvert County 4-H program.
The Maryland 4-H Youth Development Program provides a supportive setting for youth to reach their fullest potential. Children learn beneficial cognitive and life skills through community-focused, research-based, experiential educational programs. High quality science, civic engagement, and healthy living programs are delivered through clubs, afterschool and school programs, camps, fairs and other community partners. Youth development professionals and volunteers support youth thriving through nurturing sparks, promoting high quality experiences, and cultivating positive relationships within communities.
To learn more about the 4-H Youth Development Program, visit https://extension.umd.edu/programs/4-h-youth-development
Purpose of the Position:
University of Maryland Extension (UME) is seeking an Extension Educator responsible for organizing, developing, implementing and evaluating educational programs for youth, families and communities working through volunteers and youth development agencies to provide experiential learning opportunities for youth, leading to the development of life skills for youth. The educator is also responsible for developing an active, ongoing recruitment campaign to involve new volunteers and youth. As a tenure-track faculty member, the Educator will be responsible for providing leadership to develop focused youth development programs in cooperation with colleagues across the county and southern Maryland cluster. The faculty member will be on track for tenure and promotion to a higher rank in accordance with University policy and UME tenure guidelines within a timeframe defined.
We are committed to increasing the diversity of our staff and providing culturally responsive programs and services. Therefore, we encourage applications from people of all backgrounds and abilities.
This position reports directly to the Maryland 4-H Program Leader and Area Extension Director.
- Develop, implement and evaluate a county focused 4-H youth development program in cooperation with colleagues in the programmatic cluster. Facilitate the development of leadership, social and life skills, using research-based methods and materials, to achieve an increase in knowledge, skills and desirable behaviors and outcomes for youth that align with the UME Strategic Plan and 4-H Program Priorities.
- Coordinate and deliver experiential learning programs for a wide range of disciplines in areas aligning with the 4-H national priorities around science, health and civic engagement.
- Educate youth and adult volunteers on subject matter concepts.
- Manage and expand the county’s 4-H club and Out of School Time programs and capacity. Conduct needs assessments, outreach and marketing to reach diverse audiences with equity and inclusion as foundational elements.
- Provide leadership, coordination and support for the UME adult volunteer management system, including recruitment, screening and background check requirements, training, management and recognition of youth and adult volunteers.
- Cultivate good working relationships with community collaborators and partners to benefit youth. Promote positive public relations with stakeholders and the community.
- Increase resources through grants, local funding sources, collaborative and other funding proposals to support and expand 4-H youth development programs.
- Supervise full and part time staff dedicated to supporting the 4-H Youth Development Program.
- Coordinate programmatic direction in concert with non-tenured faculty position(s) and staff.
- Perform teaching, scholarship and service requirements of a faculty member of the University of Maryland. This is a tenure track position requiring documented accomplishments in the areas of research, teaching, and service.
● Master’s degree is required. ● Experience working with diverse youth groups and volunteers. ● Demonstrated teaching and leadership ability. ● Demonstrate successful community partnerships in support of youth ● Good communication and computer skills. ● Must be willing to work flexible hours, with some evenings and weekends, and to travel within assigned county, administrative cluster, and state. ● Personal transportation and valid driver’s license. ● This position is subject to a Criminal History Record Check. Employment is contingent upon successful completion and clearance of the Criminal History Record Check.
● Preferred education emphasis is in youth or child development, education, life science or related field or a similar degree emphasis in undergraduate work. ● Ph.D. preferred ● Experience in volunteer development, youth development, program management, and grant writing and management. ● Knowledge of the educational program development process and utilization of logic models to work toward meaningful outcomes while addressing youth focused issues. ● Experience with the 4-H youth development program. ● Experience in distance and virtual education strategies. ● Demonstrated success in building collaborative relationships and community based partnerships ● Successful engagement with limited resource and underserved audiences.
Driver’s license or alternate transportation required?
All candidates must apply online at https://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/84382. A completed application packet includes a letter of application, a current (signed) resume (or Curriculum Vitae uploaded as resume), copies of transcripts (official transcripts will be required if offered the position), and three (3) professional references, including name, mailing address, telephone number, and e-mail address.
Equal Employer Statement(s)
The University of Maryland, College Park, an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, complies with all applicable federal and state laws and regulations regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action; all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. The University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, age, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, creed, marital status, political affiliation, personal appearance, or on the basis of rights secured by the First Amendment, in all aspects of employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.