Extension Educator, 4-H Youth Development
Penn State Extension seeks an innovative, energetic Extension Educator with a passion for positive youth development to implement the Luzerne County 4-H program as well as support the statewide program. 4-H utilizes hands-on activities to foster critical thinking, leadership development, and community engagement. Programs are delivered through non-formal settings, such as 4-H clubs, camps, school enrichment, and after-school programs. Volunteers play an important role in the success of these endeavors, serving as club leaders, coaches and mentors.
The individual in this position works as a representative of Penn State University in the delivery of a comprehensive 4-H Youth Development program in a wide range of 4-H curriculum areas. This includes maintaining and expanding existing local 4-H club programs, supervising programs delivered by program assistants and volunteers, building community collaborations and partnerships, developing a revenue enhancement portfolio, and creating a professional development plan.
Major responsibilities include:
• Implement educational programs, materials, and activities as part of the overall efforts of the Pennsylvania 4-H program and the identified needs of the local county.
• Recruit, screen, train, and support adult volunteers.
• Promote the 4-H program to retain current members and recruit new and diverse youth audiences.
• Provide leadership for efforts that harmonize urban and rural populations. This could include local food production and promotion, broadening the connection between urban and rural agriculture, strengthening economic development with education to help youth and adults with job training, community engagement, and leadership development, and food insecurity issues, and needs for first-generation 4-H families and those not previously served by Extension.
• Effectively, work with the County 4-H Program Development Committee to plan the local program including a fundraising strategy.
• Provide effective communication to volunteers, youth, and parents to ensure a quality experience.
• Foster relationships and develop partnerships with other youth-serving groups, schools, or organizations.
• Coordinate registration, supervision, and transportation for participants in 4-H youth events held in other counties, across the state, or out of state.
• Implement program evaluation, documentation, and reporting.
• Provide administrative oversight to 4-H volunteers, youth and clubs to ensure that policy and procedural expectations are followed.
• Manage funds raised in the name of 4-H at the club and county levels.
• Perform other responsibilities as assigned by the Assistant Director of Programs and Area 4-H Educator.
Education and Experience:
The position will be filled as an Extension Educator 2 or 3, depending upon the successful candidate’s competencies, education, and experience. The position typically requires a Bachelor’s degree or higher; Master’s degree preferred plus one year of related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience for a level 2. Additional experience and/or education and competencies are required for higher-level jobs. Preference will be given to candidates who have a degree in youth development, agriculture, communication, education, nutrition, community development, leadership or a closely related field and who have 4-H experiences. Familiarity with various ethnic and socioeconomic audiences, interest and ability to work with people of diverse backgrounds, and a commitment to the principles of diversity.
Candidate should possess teaching, program development, and evaluation skills, and demonstrate positive human relations and effective communication skills necessary to work effectively with youth, parents, leaders, government officials, and the general public. The candidate must be able to carry equipment and educational materials and supplies, with or without accommodation. The position is based in Penn State Extension, Luzerne County in West Pittston, PA.
The following clearances are required: PA State Police Criminal Background Check, PA Child Abuse History Clearance Form, and Federal (FBI) Fingerprint Criminal Background Check. The candidate also must possess a valid driver’s license and have use of a private vehicle. Because the position requires operating a motor vehicle as part of the job duties, successful completion of a motor vehicle records check will be required in addition to the three clearances. Candidate must also be willing to work flexible hours.
The Pennsylvania State University is committed to and accountable for advancing diversity, equity, inclusion, and sustainability in all of its forms. We embrace individual uniqueness, foster a culture of inclusion that supports both broad and specific diversity initiatives, leverage the educational and institutional benefits of diversity in society and nature, and engage all individuals to help them thrive. We value inclusion as a core strength and an essential element of our public service mission.
Apply online at https://apptrkr.com/3607311
CAMPUS SECURITY CRIME STATISTICS: For more about safety at Penn State, and to review the Annual Security Report which contains information about crime statistics and other safety and security matters, please go to http://www.police.psu.edu/clery/, which will also provide you with detail on how to request a hard copy of the Annual Security Report.
Penn State is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer, and is committed to providing employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.