Salary and Other Benefits
Salary to commensurate with education and experience ($65,000.00 to $80,000.00). NDSU offers a comprehensive benefits package which includes single or family health insurance coverage with premiums paid for by the university – with an effective date for new employees the first of the month following date of hire. Other benefits include, wellness benefits, basic life insurance, retirement plan, tuition waiver, annual leave, EAP, sick leave and holiday pay. Optional benefits include supplemental life, dental, vision, long-term care insurance, flexible spending account, and supplemental retirement plans.
North Dakota State University (NDSU) Extension is looking for a highly motivated educator to serve as an Extension specialist (1.0 FTE, 100% Extension appointment) in forage crops production, utilization and management for North Dakota. NDSU Extension is an organization that values people who excel, adapts quickly, exhibit passion for helping others, and are excellent communicators. The Extension specialist is a member of a statewide Extension Agriculture and Natural Resources team responsible for providing leadership to create and deliver innovative learning experiences that empower North Dakotans to improve their lives and communities.
The Extension specialist/forage crops production will be responsible for providing innovative Extension programing that will serve a diverse clientele of producers, as well as industry and advisory groups. Programing will focus primarily on forage crops production and agricultural issues, specifically in the areas of forage crops production, utilization and management, by providing education to Extension agents, farmers and ranchers, agricultural lenders, agribusinesses, industry organizations, and agricultural processors. The Extension specialist will work closely with Extension agents and build collaborative relationships with stakeholders to achieve goals. This position will be based at the NDSU North Central Research Extension Center (NCREC) located near Minot, ND. The NCREC Director will provide supervision for this position.
• Develop an innovative Extension program that includes the identifying, assessing, and delivering of educational programs that will facilitate the development of forage crops systems education opportunities for Extension agents, producers, landowners, economic development leaders, industry, and entities of government.
• Provide expertise and teach Extension agents and clients through continued education training to Extension agents and clients to strengthen the knowledge base of Extension personnel statewide.
• Provide expertise and assistance in forage crops issues to Extension agents and other clients.
• Stay up-to-date on forage crops issues in ND by pursuing professional development opportunities through meetings, seminars, symposiums, etc.
• Collaborate to build strong working relationships with appropriate Extension specialists, research faculty, Extension agents, NCREC employees and associated agricultural clientele to deliver statewide forage crops related programs.
• Develop individual and team-based Extension programs utilizing a variety of delivery methods and publications that disseminate information to producers, industry personnel, Extension agents, and Research Extension Centers.
• Communicate with other Extension personnel, appropriate Research Extension Center personnel, and farmers and ranchers about issues that need new or additional research. When appropriate, provide leadership for developing and demonstrating of novel management strategies that ensure program relevancy and the ability to guide producer efforts to adapt to changing production systems.
• Develop relationships and cooperate with research and Extension faculty within the NDSU Departments of Animal Sciences and Plant Sciences and other agricultural departments.
• Secure external funding for forage–related Extension and programming efforts.
• Assist the development and/or enhancement of existing forage related youth programs.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• M.S. degree in an agricultural-related field, such as agronomy, plant sciences, range science or related discipline. • Academic training and/or experience with forage or grain crops production. •Knowledge of forage production systems in North Dakota. • Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills. • Demonstrated effectiveness in working with varied audiences, including individuals and groups, as a team member and as an effective leader. • Documented ability to publish Extension and/or research in refereed scientific journals or Extension-type articles/bulletins, including popular press articles. • Documented ability to compete for extramural funding in relevant fields. • Proficiency in a variety of computer programs for use in developing and delivering educational programs. • Knowledge of current and emerging issues and production practices of livestock, forage crops and soil health. • Ability to define, conduct and interpret applied research and demonstration projects. • Valid driver’s license.
• Ph.D. in an agricultural-related field, such as agronomy, plant sciences, range science or related discipline. • Research or Extension experience of forage and grain crops production, forage crops type and variety selection, grazing systems, soil health, pest and disease management related to forage crops, livestock systems, and pasture utilization. • Familiarity with Northern Plains agriculture. • Experience in forage crops related research. • Successful publication of Extension and/or research in refereed scientific journals or Extension-type articles/bulletins, including popular press articles. • Demonstrated ability to secure extramural funds for Extension and programming efforts. • Experience working with the Cooperative Extension Service. • Demonstrated skills in web-based education, social media platforms and other modes of communication. • ND Commercial Pesticide Applicator license or ability to obtain • Certified Crop Advisor or ability to obtain
Applicant Materials Required: Cover Letter, College Transcripts, Curriculum vitae, Name and contact information for three professional references (must include contact information- telephone numbers and postal and email addresses) Screening will begin on 10/29/21
Driver’s license or alternate transportation required?
A complete announcement is posted at the following URL: https://www.ndsu.edu/employment/joblist Opening #2936498
Equal Employer Statement(s)
North Dakota State University is an Equal Opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, gender expression/identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, participation in lawful off-campus activity, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, public assistance status, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, spousal relationship to current employee, or veteran status, as applicable.